Alan E. Williams
Alan E. Williams
Department of Earth Sciences
- Stable Isotope Geochemistry
Stable isotope geochemistry; meteoric origin, fractionation mechanisms, and transport of ground waters. Chemical hydrology; chemical and isotopic interaction of water and rock in environmental, groundwater and hydrothermal circulation systems.
Stable isotope chemistry of surface and groundwaters in southern California; water-rock interactions in the Salton Sea geothermal system, California; fluid inclusions as indicators of chemical evolution of geo-fluids, water quality degradation and movement of nitrate in waste water.
Ph.D., Brown University, 1980
- Williams, A.E., McKibben M.A., and Eldridge C.S., Chapter 37 In: Dauphin J. P. and Simoneit B.R.T. , eds., 1991, An Overview of Fluid Geochemistry and Ore Genesis in the Salton Sea Geothermal System, and Comparison with the Gulf of California Hydrothermal Systems. The Gulf and Peninsular Province of the Californias, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Memoir, v. 47, p. 781-792
- Lee, T.C., Williams, A.E., and Chuching W., 1992, An artificial recharge experiment in the San Jacinto basin, Riverside, southern California, Journal of Hydrology, v. 140 p. 235-259
- Williams, A.E., Lund, L.J., and Kabala, Z., 1996, Investigation of nitrate contamination in the Sierra Pelona groundwater basin Agua Dulce. final report submitted to the California Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- Williams, A.E., 1996, Mass spectrometic analysis of volatiles in fluid inclusions: aliquot calibration valve to simulate inclusion rupture. Chemical Geology v. 131 p. 155-165
- Williams, A.E. and Taylor, M.C., 1996, Mass spectrometic identification of boric acid in fluid inclusions in pegmatite minerals. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 60, no. 18, p. 3435-3443
- Williams, A.E., 1997, Fluid density distribution in a high temperature, stratified thermohaline system: implications for saline hydrothermal circulation. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 146 p. 121-136
- Williams, A.E. and Rodoni, D. P., 1997, Regional isotope effects and application to hydrologic investigations in southwestern California. Water Resources Research, v. 33(7) p. 1721-1729
- Williams, A.E., 1997, Stable isotope tracers: natural and anthropogenic recharge, Orange County, California. Journal of Hydrology, v. 201 p. 230-248
- Williams, A. E., Lund, L. J., Johnson, J. A., and Kabala, Z. J., 1998, Natural and anthropogenic nitrate contamination of groundwater in a rural community, California. Environmental Science and Technology, v. 32 p. 32-39.