Department of Earth Sciences
- Earthquake Processes/Active Tectonics
My research interests revolve around trying to understand the processes at work in deforming the lithosphere, and controlling the behaviour of active faults both during and between earthquakes. The development and refinement over the past decade of high-precision space geodetic tools such as InSAR and GPS have given us a wealth of data on the movement of the earth's surface, which we can use to test models of continental deformation and faulting.
Current research projects include assessing the state of locking of the Hayward fault in California using PS-InSAR and GPS (in collaboration with Tele-Rilevamento Europa in Milan), joint inversions of InSAR and broadband seismic data for the rupture histories of large continental earthquakes, and using the phenomenology of earthquakes studied with InSAR to infer earthquake scaling relations.
Ph.D. in Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, 2005
- E J Fielding, P R Lundgren, R Bürgmann and G J Funning, 2009, Shallow fault-zone dilatancy recovery after the 2003 Bam earthquake in Iran, Nature, 458, 64-68.
- G Baer, G J Funning, G Shamir and T J Wright, 2008, The 1995 November 22, Mw 7.2 Gulf of Elat earthquake cycle revisited, Geophys. J. Int., 175, 1040-1054.
- G J Funning, R Burgmann, A Ferretti, F Novali and A Fumagalli, 2007, Creep on the Rodgers Creek fault, northern San Francisco Bay area, from a 10-year PS-InSAR dataset, Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L19306, doi:10.1029/2007GL030836.
- G J Funning, B Parsons and T J Wright, 2007, Fault slip in the 1997 Manyi, Tibet earthquake from linear elastic modelling of InSAR displacements, Geophys. J. Int., 169, 988-1008.
- I Ryder, B Parsons, T J Wright and G J Funning, 2007, Post-seismic motion following the 1997 Manyi (Tibet) earthquake: InSAR observations and modelling, Geophys. J. Int., 169, 1009--1027.
- E Nissen, B Emmerson, G J Funning, A Mistrukov, B Parsons, D P Robinson and T J Wright, 2007, Combining InSAR and seismology to study the 2003 Siberian Altai earthquakes - dextral strike-slip and anticlockwise rotations in the northern India-Eurasia collision zone, Geophys. J. Int., 169, 216-232.
- J Jackson, M Bouchon, E Fielding, G Funning, M Ghorashi, D Hatzfeld, H Nazari, B Parsons, K Priestley, M Talebian, M Tatar, R Walker and T Wright, 2006, Seismotectonic, rupture process and earthquake hazard aspects of the 26 December 2003 Bam earthquake, Geophys. J. Int.., 166, 1270-1292.
- J Biggs, E Bergman, B Emmerson, G J Funning, J A Jackson, B Parsons and T J Wright, 2006, Fault identification for buried strike-slip earthquakes using InSAR: the 1994 and 2004 Al Hoceima, Morocco earthquakes, Geophys. J. Int.., 166, 1347-1362.
- G J Funning, B Parsons, T J Wright, J A Jackson and E J Fielding, 2005, Surface displacements and source parameters of the 2003 Bam, Iran earthquake from Envisat Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar imagery, J. Geophys. Res., 110 (B9), B09406, doi:10.1029/2004JB003338.
- G J Funning, R M D Barke, S H Lamb, E Minaya, B E Parsons and T J Wright, 2005, The 1998 Aiquile, Bolivia earthquake: an active fault revealed with InSAR, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 232, 39-49.
- M Talebian, E J Fielding, G J Funning, M Ghorashi, J A Jackson, H Nazari, B E Parsons, K Priestley, P Rosen, R Walker and T J Wright, 2004, The 2003 Bam (Iran) earthquake: rupture of a blind strike-slip fault, Geophys. Res. Lett., 31 (11), L11611, doi:10.1029/2004GL020058.