Department of Earth Sciences
Ultrahigh Pressure Mineralogy, Experimental Petrology, Ultra-High Pressure Metamorphism and Deep Subduction, Deep Earths Mineralogy and Geophysics
The focus of my researches is on solid Earth geophysics. I use mineralogy as tool for studying ultrahigh-pressure metamorphic rocks from collisional orogenic belts, their microstructures, compositions and mineral phase transformations at very high pressures and high temperatures in order to provide understanding of the architecture of the Earth's interior and its geodynamics. It includes also experimental modeling of the ultra-deep metamorphic process and mineral phase transformations utilizing Walker 's style multianvil apparatus and diamond anvil cell devices. Origin of diamonds from ultra-high pressure metamorphic terranes, deep subduction of continental crust. Experimental synthesis of diamonds from different source of natural carbon in presence of H2O at high pressures and high temperatures and their implication for geology, geophysics and materials science. My researches combine geological observations and analytical studies of minerals with advanced electron microscopy and synchrotron assisted micro X-ray and micro IR and Raman spectroscopy and experimental modeling of mineral behaviors at extreme conditions.
Current projects and research opportunities:
1. Nitrides in terrestrial rocks: A window into the geodynamic history of the Earth.
2. Fate of continental crust subducted to Earth's mantle transition zone: experimental studies.
3. Diamond formation in subduction zones; diamond synthesis from a supercritical COH-fluid
4. Nanoscale geological materials – from mineralogy: Focused Ion Beam, nanoSIMS, synchrotron IR and Raman spectroscopy, Scanning and Transmission electron microscopy.
Scientific Editor of books and Special Volume in journals
- Doctor of Sciences Degree – Supreme Committee of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
- Ph.D., Institute of Precambrian Geology and Geochronology
- B.S., Saint Petersburg University, Russia
- Fellow of Mineralogical Society of America
- Fellow of Geological Society of America
- Fellow of American Association for Advancement of Science
- Fellow of Japan Society for Promotion of Science
- Yang, J., Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F ., Bai, W.-J., Fang, Q-S., Robinson, P., Zhang, J-F. and Green, H.W., 2007. Diamond - and coesite-beraing chromitites from the Luobasa ophiolite, Tibet. Geology, 35: 875-878.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F., Wirth, R., Green, H.W., 2007. A look inside of diamond-forming media in deep subduction zones. Proceedings of National Academy Sciences of the United States of America 104 (22): 9128-9132.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F. and Green, H.W., 2007. Experimental studies of mineralogical assemblages of metasedimentary rocks at Earth’s mantle transition zone conditions. Journal of Metamorphic Geology , 25 (2): 83-96.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F. Liu, Z, Cartigny, P., Zhang, J., Tchkhetia, N.N., Green II, H.W. and Hemley R.J., 2006. Synchrotron infrared and Raman spectroscopy of microdiamonds from Erzgebirge, Germany, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 248 (1-2): 340-349.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L. F., Wirth, R, and Green II, H.W., 2005. Direct observation and analysis of trapped COH inclusions in Kokchetav diamonds (Kazakhstan). Terra Nova, v.17, n.5, p.472-477.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L. F., Green II, H.W., Renfro, A. P., Bozhilov, K.N., Spengler, D. and Van Roermund, H. L. M., 2004. Precipitation of pyroxenes and olivine from majoritic garnet: simulation of peridotite exhumation from great depth. Terra Nova ,16 (6), 325-330.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L. F., Renfro, A. P. and Green II, H.W., 2004. Synthesis of skeletal diamonds: implication to orogenic belts microdiamond formation. Geology , v. 32, no.10, p. 869-872.
- Jung, H., Green, II, H.W., Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F., 2004. Intermediate-depth earthquake faulting by dehydration embrittlement with negative volume change. Nature, v.428, p.545-549.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F., Green, H.W., Bozhilov, K.N., Mitchell, T.E., Dickerson R.M. 2003. Crystallization environment of Kazakhstan microdiamonds: evidence from their nanometric inclusions and mineral associations. Journal of Metamorphic Geology , 21:425-437.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F., Green, H.W., Weschler, M., Darus, M., Wang, Y.-C.,. Massonne, H.-J and Stöckhert, B., 2003. Focused Ion Beam Technique and Transmission Electron Microscope Studies of Microdiamonds from the Saxonian Erzgebirge , Germany . Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 210:399-410.
- Bozilov, K.N., Green, H.W. and Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F., 1999. Clinoenstatite in the Alpe Arami peridotite: additional evidence of very high pressure. Science. 284:128-132.
- Green, H.W.,II, Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F. and Bozhilov, 1997. Determining the origin of ultra-high pressure lherzolites,. Science. 278 : 704-707.
- Dobrzhinetskaya, L.F., Green, H.W.,II, Wang, S., 1996. Alpe-Arami: a peridotite massif from depth of more than 300 kilometers. Science. 271: 1841-1845.