Michael A. McKibben
Michael A. McKibben
Department of Earth Sciences
- Economic Geology, Geochemistry
- Ph.D., 1984, Pennsylvania State University, Geochemistry and Mineralogy
- Tono Natural Anologue Project: Uranium in redox fronts
- Geologic Examination of Archaeological Site CA-RIV-6797
- Preliminary evaluation of natural As and Pb levels in rocks and soils of the Imperial Valley
- Known metalliferous geothermal brines
- Mineral resource assessment of three properties in the Imperial Valley
- Analysis of geologic and geochemical data from Northern Sumatra
- Analysis of information on War Eagle Mine
- Assessment of IER-USAR Gold Reserve Claims
- Zinc recovery and the potential for zinc replenishment to processed, reinjected Salton Sea geothermal brines
- Zinc resources in the Salton Sea Geothermal field
- Precious metals in the Salton Sea Geothermal field
- Lithium, manganese and zinc resources in the Salton Sea geothermal brines
- Evaluation for sampling metals in the Salton Sea brine
- Bilenker, L., McKibben, M. A. (2011) Abiotic oxidation rate of chalcopyrite in seawater: implications for seafloor sulfide mining; Geol. Soc. America, Abstracts with Program, 41-10.
- Romano, G. Y., and McKibben, M. A. (2011) Kinetics of pyrrhotite oxidation in seawater: implications for mining seafloor hotsprings; Geol. Soc. America, Abstracts with Program, 41-9.
- Montgomery, S. D., and McKibben, M. A. (2011) Kinetics of scheelite dissolution in groundwater: implications for environmental and economic geology; Geol. Soc. America, Abstracts with Program, 41-11.
- McKibben, M.A., (2009) Effects of host mineral re-equilibration during uplift and cooling on the fidelity of primary hydrothermal fluid inclusions: a theoretical example using MVT ore fluids; Geofluids 9 (2) p. 85-95.
- McKibben, M.A., Tallant, B.A., and del Angel, J.K. (2008) Kinetics of inorganic arsenopyrite oxidation in acidic aqueous solutions; Applied Geochemistry, 23, p. 121-135.
- McKibben, M A (2004) Gold; in Encyclopedia of Geology, Edited by Dick Selley, Robin Cocks and Ian Plimer, Academic Press.
- McKibben, M A (2004) Hydrothermal Ores; in Encyclopedia of Geology, Edited by Dick Selley, Robin Cocks and Ian Plimer, Academic Press.
- McKibben, M. A., and Eldridge, C. S. (2001) Preliminary scientific results of the Creede Caldera Continental Scientific Drilling Program; SHRIMP ion microprobe sulfur isotopic study of pyrite in corehole CCM-2; evidence for multiple episodes of extreme biogenic sulfate reduction (Bethke, Philip M., Ed.); Open-File Report - U. S. Geological Survey, Report: OF 94-0260-H.
- McKibben, M. A., Shanks, W. C., III, and Ridley, W. I. (1998) Applications of Microanalytical Techniques to Understanding Mineralizing Processes; Soc. of Economic Geologists Reviews in Economic Geology, Vol. 7, 263 pp.
- McKibben, M. A., and Riciputi, L. R., (1998) Sulfur Isotopes by Ion Microprobe; in McKibben, M. A., and Shanks, W. C., III, Applications of Microanalytical Techniques to Understanding Mineralizing Processes; Soc. of Economic Geologists Reviews in Economic Geology, Vol. 7, p. 121-139.
- McKibben, M. A., Eldridge, C. S., and Reyes, A. G., (1996) Sulfur isotopic systematics of the June 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruptions: a SHRIMP ion microprobe study; in Fire and Mud - Eruptions and Lahars of Mount Pinatubo, Philippines (C. G. Newhall and R. S. Punongbayan, editors), PHIVOLCS and Univ. of Washington Press, pp. 825-843.
- McKibben, M. A., and Hardie, L. A., (1997) Ore-forming brines in active continental rifts; in Barnes, H. L. (editor), Geochemistry of Hydrothermal Ore Deposits, 3rd Edition, Wiley-Interscience, N.Y., Ch. 17, p. 875-933.
- McKibben, M. A., (1995) Ore Deposits, IUGG Quadrennial Review, Solid Earth Sciences, Reviews of Geophysics, 1995, V33, p. S:53-62.
- McKibben, M. A., and Eldridge, C. S., (1995) Microscopic sulfur isotopic variations in ore minerals from the Viburnum Trend, Southeast Missouri: a SHRIMP study; Economic Geology, v. 90, p. 228-245.
- Kerrick, D. M., McKibben, M. A., Seward, T. M., and Caldeira, K., (1995) Convective hydrothermal CO2 emissions from high heat flow rifts; Chemical Geology, Vol. 121, p. 285-293. Read the table of contents You can read the abstract of the above paper and see some photomicrographs of ion probe data from Mount Pinatubo eruption products.
- The entire Mount Pinatubo "Fire and Mud" volume is now online here. The above paper is a review of four years of Ore Deposits research in the U.S., for the U.S. National Report. You can read the abstract of the above paper and see some photomocrographs (first set, second set).