Peter M. Sadler
Peter M. Sadler
Department of Earth Sciences
- Quantitative Stratigraphy
Quantitative biostratigraphy; rates and scaling laws of geologic processes; completeness of the stratigraphic record; synorogenic sedimentation; fire-modulated vegetation patch-mosaics.
CONOP software for stratigraphic correlation and seriation; Ordovician and Silurian time scales; graptolite and conodont species richness and longevity; scaling laws for progradation, aggradation, and volumes of siliciclastic passive margins; CHRONOS and EARTHTIME geoinformatics initiatives; modeling fire mosaics and vegetation conversion.
Ph.D., University of Bristol, U.K., 1973
- Research Scientist, Georg August University, Goettingen 1973-76
- Crosby Lecturer, MIT, 2005
- Sadler, P.M. and Strauss, D.J., 1990. Estimation of the completeness of stratigraphical sections using empirical data and theoretical models. Journal of the Geological Society of London , 147:471-485.
- Sadler, P.M. 1993. The Santa Ana Basin of the Central San Bernardino Mountains : evidence of the timing of uplift and strike slip relative to the San Gabriel Mountains . In, Powell, R.E., Weldon, R.J., and Matti, J.C. (eds.), The San Andreas fault System; displacement, palinspastic reconstruction, and geologic evidence , GSA Memoir 178, p. 307-321.
- Sadler, P.M. 1993. Models of time-averaging as a maturation process: How soon do sedimentary sections escape reworking? In Kidwell, S.M. and Behrensmeyer, A.K. (eds.), Taphonomic approaches to time resolution in fossil assemblage s, Paleontological Society Short Courses in Paleontology, 6:188-209.
- Sadler, P.M., Osleger, D.A., and Montañez, I.P., 1993. On the labelling, length and objective basis of Fischer plots. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 63:360-368.
- Sadler, P.M., 1994. The expected duration of upward-shallowing peritidal carbonate cycles and their terminal hiatuses. Geological Society of America Bulletin , 106:791-802.
- Kemple, W.G., Sadler, P.M., and Strauss, D.J., 1995. Extending graphic correlation to many dimensions: stratigraphic correlation as constrained optimization. SEPM Special Publication 53:65-82.
- Macleod, N., and Sadler, P.M., 1995. Estimating the line of correlation, SEPM Special Publication 53:51-64.
- Sadler, P.M. 1999. The influence of hiatuses on sediment accumulation rates. In Bruns, P. and Hass, H.C. (eds.), On the Determination of Sediment Accumulation Rates. GeoResearch Forum, 5:15-40, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland .
- Cooper, R.A., J.S. Crampton, J.I. Raine, F.M. Gradstein, H.E.G. Morgans, P.M. Sadler, C.P. Strong, D. Waghorn and G.J. Wilson. 2001. Quantitative biostratigraphy of the Taranaki Basin, New Zealand - a deterministic and probabilistic approach. Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists , 85(8):1469-1498.
- Sadler, P.M. and R.A. Cooper 2003. Best-fit intervals and consensus sequences: a comparison of the resolving power of traditional biostratigraphy and computer assisted correlation. In P. Harries (ed.) High-Resolution Stratigraphic Approaches in Paleontology. Plenum Press Topics in Geobiology, 21:50-95.
- Webster, M., P.M. Sadler, M.A. Kooser, and E. M. Fowler 2003. Combining stratigraphic sections and museum collections to increase biostratigraphic resolution. In P. Harries (ed.), High-Resolution Stratigraphic Approaches in Paleontology. Plenum Press Topics in Geobiology, 21:96-128.
- SADLER, P.M., KEMPLE, W. G., and KOOSER, M.A., 2003, CONOP9 programs for solving the stratigraphic correlation and seriation problems as constrained optimization, in Harries P. (ed.), High Resolution Stratigraphic Approaches in Paleontology, Plenum Press, Topics in Geobiology, v. 21, p. 461-465 and CD.
- SADLER, P.M., and COOPER, R.A., 2004, Calibration of the Ordovician Time Scale, in Webby, B., Paris, F., Droser, M.L., and. Percival, I. G. (eds.), The Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event, Columbia University Press p. 48-51 .
- COOPER, R. A., and SADLER, P. M., 2004, Ordovician, in Cooper, R. A., (ed.) The New Zealand Geologic Timescale, New Zealand Crown Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences, Monograph 22, p. 43–53.
- COOPER, R.A., and SADLER, P.M., 2004, The Ordovician System, Chapter 12 in Gradstein F., Ogg, J. and Smith, A. (eds.), A Geologic Time Scale, p. 165-187, Cambridge University Press.
- MELCHIN, M., COOPER, R.A., and SADLER, P.M., 2004, The Silurian System, Chapter 13 in Gradstein F., Ogg, J., and Smith, A. (eds.), A Geologic Time Scale, p. 188-201, Cambridge University ( eds.), A Geologic Time Scale, p. 188-201, Cambridge University Press.
- SADLER, P. M., 2004. Quantitative Biostratigraphy - achieving finer resolution in Global Correlation. Annual Reviews of Earth and Planetary Sciences, v. 32, p. 187-213.