Stephen K. Park
Stephen K. Park
Department of Earth Sciences
- Geophysics, Magnetotellurics
Magnetotelluric (MT) studies of the creation and destruction of crust; applications of inverse theory; detection of contaminants in the subsurface; electromagnetic phenomena associated with earthquakes.
MT studies in the Himalayas ( latest NP model ) and the Tien Shen, central Asia; resistivity monitoring for earthquake prediction and contaminant monitoring; imaging fluid migration in the Vadose Zone; high resolution MT studies of thrust faults.
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1984
- Park, S. K., and G. P. Van, 1991. Inversion of pole-pole date for three-dimensional resistivity structure beneath arrays of electrodes: Geophysics, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 951-960.
- Park, S.K., D. Pendergraft, W.J. Stephenson, K.M. Shedlock, and T.C. Lee, 1995. Delineation of Intrabasin structure in a dilational jog of the San Jacinto fault zone, southern California, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 691-702.
- Park, S.K., and E. Lehmer, 1995. Construction and dissemination of a digital fault data base for the Southern California Earthquake Center, Geoscience Information Society Proceedings, 25, 21-33.
- Wernicke, B., R. Clayton, M. Ducea, C.H. Jones, S. Park, S. Ruppert, J. Saleeby, J.K. Snow, L. Squires, M. Fliedner, G. Jiracek, R. Keller, S. Klemperer, J. Luetgert, P. Malin, K. Miller, W. Mooney, H. Oliver, and R. Phinney, 1996. Origin of high mountains in the continents: the southern Sierra Nevada, Science, 271, 190-193.
- Park, S.K., B. Hirasuna, G.R. Jiracek, and C.L. Kinn, 1996. Magnetotelluric evidence of lithospheric mantle thinning beneath the southern Sierra Nevada, J. Geophys. Res. , 101, 16241-16255.
- Mackie, R.L., T.R. Madden, and S.K. Park, 1996. A three-dimensional magnetotelluric investigation of the California Basin and Range, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 16221-16239.
- Park, S.K., D.J. Strauss, and R.L. Aceves, 1996. Some observations about the statistical significance and physical mechanisms of the VAN method of earthquake prediction, Greece. In A Critical Review of VAN, ed. by Sir James Lighthill, World Scientific Publishing, London, 267-286.
- Park, S.K., 1997. Monitoring resistivity changes in Parkfield, California: 1988-1995. J. Geophys. Res. 102:24545-24559.
- Park, S.K., 1998. Fluid migration in the Vadose Zone from 3-D inversion of resistivity monitoring data. Geophysics 63(1)41-51.
- Park, S.K. and R.L. Mackie, 2000. Resistive (dry) lower crust in an active orogen, Nanga Parbat, northern Pakistan. Tectonophys., 316:359-380.
- Ducea, M.N. and S.K. Park, 2000. Enhanced mantle conductivity from sulfide minerals, southern Sierra Nevada, California. Geophys. Res. Lett., 27:2405-2408.
- Uyeda, S. and S.K. Park, 2002, Preface to Special Issue: Recent Investigations of Electromagnetic Variations Related to Earthquakes, J. Geodynamics, 33, 377-378
- Park, S.K., 2002, Perspectives on Monitoring Resistivity Changes with Telluric Signals at Parkfield, California: 1988-1999, J. Geodynamics, 33, 379-400.
- Chamberlain, C.P., P.O. Koons, A.S. Meltzer, S.K. Park, D. Craw, P. Zeitler, and M.A. Poage, 2002, Overview of hydrothermal activity associated with orogenesis and metamorphism: Nanga Parbat, Pakistan Himalaya, Am.J. Science, 302, 726-748.
- Park, S.K., S.C. Thompson, A. Rybin, V. Batalev, and R. Bielinski, 2003, Structural Constraints in Neotectonic Studies of Thrust Faults from the Magnetotelluric Method, Kochkor Basin, Kyrgyz Republic, Tectonics, 22,doi:10.1029/ 2001tc001318, 8-1 - 8-12.
- Park, S.K., and B.Wernicke, 2003, Electrical Conductivity Images of Quaternary Faults and Tertiary Detachments in the California Basin and Range, Tectonics, doi: 10.1029/2001tc001324, 4-1 - 4.17
- Park, S.K., and M.N. Ducea, 2003, Can In Situ Measurements of Mantle Electrical Conductivity be Used to Infer Properties of Partial Melts?, J. Geophys. Research, Vol. 108. No B5. doi:10.1029/2002jb001899.
- Bielinski, R.A., S.K. Park, A. Rybin, V. Batalev, S. Jun, and C. Sears, 2003, Lithospheric Heterogeneity in the Kyrgyz Tien Shan Imaged by Magnetotelluric Studies, Geophys. Res. Lttrs, doi:10.1029/2003gl017455
- Park, S.K. and J.J. Roberts, 2003, Conductivity Structure of the San Andreas Fault, Parkfield, Revisited, Geophys. Res. Lttrs, doi:10.1029/2003gl017689.