3108 Sproul Hall
- Labor Economics, Political Economy
- Ph.D., Duke University, Economics
- B.A., Washington University, Economic
- 2007 - 2011: Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
- 2004 - 2007: Associate Dean for Student Academic Affairs, College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
- 2002 - Present: Professor of Economics, University of California, Riverside
- 2005 (summer): Visiting Scholar, Paris School of Economics
- 1999 - 2000: Visiting Investigator, Centro Regional de Investigaciones Multidisciplinarias, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
- 1996 - 2002: Associate Professor of Economics, University of California, Riverside
- 1989 - 1996: Assistant Professor of Economics, University of California, Riverside
- 1994 (spring): Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, Harvard University
- 1983 - 1989: Assistant Professor of Economics, Williams College
- 1986 - 1987: Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, and Visiting Scholar, Institute of Industrial Relations, University of California, Berkeley
Selected Journal Articles
- "The Dissipation of Minimum Wage Gains for Workers through Labor-Labor Substitution: Evidence from the Los Angeles Living Wage Ordinance," Southern
Economic Journal, 75(2), 2008 (with Leon Ferandez Bujanda)
- "Minimum Wages and the Wage Structure in Mexico," Review of Social Economy, 66(2), June 2008 (with Eduardo Zepeda and Gurleen Popli)
- "What Accounts for Intra-Industry Wage Differentials? Evidence from a Survey of Establishments," Journal of Economic Issues, 2008 (with Eric Jonasson).
- "Que Hacen Los Sindicatos en Mexico?," Estudios Economicos: June, 2006.
- "Union Voice Effects in Mexico," British Journal of Industrial Relations, 44(4), 2006.
- "The Impact of Living Wages on Employers: A Control Group Analysis of the Los Angeles Ordinance," Industrial Relations, vol.44, no.1, 2005.
- "La disminución del poder sindical en México," El Trimestre Económico, vol.71, no.4, 2004 (with Edward Levine).
- "Internal Labor Markets and Worker Quits," Industrial Relations, vol. 43, no. 3, 2004.
- "The Impact of Minimum Wages on Job Training: An Empirical Exploration with Establishment Data," Southern Economic Journal, vol. 70, no. 3, 2004 (with Robert Pedace).
- "Flexible Work Practices and Occupational Safety and Health: Exploring the Relationship Between Cumulative Trauma Disorders and Workplace Transformation," Industrial Relations, vol. 43, no. 1, 2004 (with Mark Brenner and John Ruser).
- "Unions and Wage Inequality in Mexico," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, vol.56, no.3, 2003.
- "Are Transformed Workplaces More Productively Efficient?," Journal of Economic Issues, vol.36, no.3, 2002.
- "Work and Development," International Labor Review, vol. 138(1), 1999 (with Henry Bruton).
- "Institutional Change in Shopfloor Governance and the Trajectory of Postwar Injury Rates in U.S. Manufacturing, 1946-1970," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, January, 1998.
- "From Exit to Voice in Shopfloor Governance: The Case of Company Unions," Business History Review, Winter, 1995.
- "Wages and the Intensity of Labor Effort: Efficiency Wages Versus Compensating Payments," Southern Economic Journal, v. 61, 1994 (with Lee Alston).
- "Compensating Payments and Hazardous Work in Union and Nonunion Settings," Journal of Labor Research, v. 13, l992.
- "Compensating Wage Differentials in the Union and Nonunion Sectors," Industrial Relations, v. 28, l989.
- Shopfloor Matters: Labor-Management Relations in Twentieth-Century American Manufacturing, 1997, London: Routledge.
Selected Policy Reports
- Examining the Evidence: The Impact of the Los Angeles Living Wage Ordinance on Workers and Businesses, Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (with David Runsten, Carolina Briones, and Jessica Goodheart).
Selected Book Chapters
- "Vers une théorie de l'intensité du travail," Organisation et intensité du travail, Philippe Askenazy, Damien Cartron, Frédéric de Coninck, et Michel Gollac (dir.), Octares Editions, 2006.
- "On the Notion of Optimality in Welfare Economics," forthcoming in The State and the Market: Essays in Honour of Mrinal Datta Chauduhri, eds., Kaushik Basu, Pulin Nayak, and Ranjan Ray, Oxford University Press, 2003 (with Prasanta Pattanaik).
- "The Homogenization of Labor and the Logic of Collective Action," in Capitalism, Socialism, and Radical Political Economy: Essays in Honor of Howard J. Sherman, ed., Robert Pollin, Edward Elgar, 2000.
- "Shopfloor Relations in the Postwar Capital-Labor Accord," in Social Structures of Accumulation: The Political Economy of Growth and Crisis, eds., David Kotz, Terry McDonough and Michael Reich, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- "Working Conditions, Segmented Labor Markets, and Gender Discrimination," in New Approaches to Economic and Social Analyses of Discrimination, eds., Richard R. Cornwall and Phanindra V. Wunnava, Praeger, l991. (with Lori Kletzer)