Steven M. Helfand
Steven M. Helfand
4102 Sproul Hall
Developmental Economics, Agricultural Economics, Brazil, Latin America
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, Agricultural and Resource Economics
- M.S., University of California, Berkeley, Agricultural and Resource Economics
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, History
University of California, Riverside, 1995-present
- Director, UC Education Abroad Program in Brazil, 2006-09
- Chair, Latin American Studies Program, 2002 - 2006
- Associate Professor, Department of Economics, 2002 - Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, 1995-2002
- "How Important are Locational Characteristics for Rural Non-agricultural Employment? Lessons from Brazil," with Erik Jonasson, 2010.
- "Pobreza e Desigualdade de Renda no Brasil Rural: Uma Análise da Queda Recente," ("Poverty and Income Inequality in Rural Brazil: An Analysis of the Recent Decline"), with Rudi Rocha and Henrique E. F. Vinhais, 2008.
- "Explicando as Diferenças na Produtividade Agrícola no Brasil" ("Explaining the Differences in Agricultural Porductivity in Brazil") with Ajax R.B. Moreira, and Adriano M. R. Figueiredo, IPEA TD 1254, January 2007.
- "The Impact of Policy Reforms on Rural Poverty in Brazil: Evidence from Three States in the 1990s," with Edward S. Levine, Chapter 5 in Human Development in the Era of Globalization, James Boyce, Stephen Cullenberg, Prasanta Pattanaik, and Robert Pollin, eds., Northampton: Edward Elgar, 2006, pp.105-25.
- "Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models: Accounting for Unobserved Local Determinants of Inefficiency," with Alexandra M. Schmidt, Ajax R. B. Moreira, and Thais C. O. Fonseca, IPEA TD 1220, 2006.
- "Economic Development and the Determinants of Spatial Integration in Agricultural Markets," with Gloria González-Rivera, in Economics, Politics, and Social Issues in Latin America, edited by Mary P. Lassiter, Nova Science Publishers, 2006, pp. 75-96.
- "Farm Size and the Determinants of Productive Efficiency in the Brazilian Center-West," with Edward S. Levine, Agricultural Economics , Vol. 31, No. 2-3, 2004, pp. 241-249.
- "The Impact of Sector-Specific and Economy-Wide Policy Reforms on the Agricultural Sector in Brazil: 1980-98," with Gervásio Castro de Rezende, C ontemporary Economic Policy , Vol. 22, No. 2, April 2004, pp. 194-212.
- " Appendix to article in CEP 22(2), 2004" (Excel format)
- "The Changing Structure of the Brazilian Agricultural Sector and the Limitations of the 1995/96 Agricultural Census," with Luis F. Brunstein, Revista de Economia e Sociologia Rural , Vol. 39, No. 3, July/Sept. 2001, pp. 179-203.
- "The Extent, Pattern, and Degree of Market Integration: A Multivariate Approach for the Brazilian Rice Market," with Gloria González-Rivera, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 83, No. 3, August 2001, pp. 576-592.
- "The Distribution of Subsidized Agricultural Credit in Brazil : Do Interest Groups Matter?" Development and Change , Vol. 32, No. 3, June 2001, pp. 465-490.
- "Interest Groups and Economic Policy: Explaining the Pattern of Protection in the Brazilian Agricultural Sector," Contemporary Economic Policy , Vol. 18, No. 4, October 2000, pp. 462-476.
- "The Political Economy of Agricultural Policy in Brazil : Decision Making and Influence in the 1964-92 Period," Latin American Research Review , Vol. 34, No. 2, Spring 1999, pp. 3-41.