3130 Sproul Hall
- Choice Theory, Social Choice and Welfare, Finite Variation in Economic Analysis
- Ph.D., Economics, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, 1981.
- M.A., Economics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, 1976.
- M.A., Economics, University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India, 1971.
- B.A. (Honours in Economics), University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India, 1969.
Professor Bandyopadhyay's fields of interest are Microeconomic Theory, International Trade, and Public Economics. His Research interests are Choice Theory, Social Choice and Welfare, and Finite Variation in Economic Analysis
- "Coalitional Power Structures Without the Pareto Principle," Mathematical Social Sciences, 55-64 (1981).
- "The Structure of Coalitional Power in a Probabilistic Framework" (with R. Deb and P. K. Pattanaik), Journal of Economic Theory, 366-376 (1982).
- "Threats, Counter-Threats and Strategic Manipulation of Group Decision Rules," Mathematical Social Sciences, 145-155 (1982).
- "The Role of Money Demand Functions in One Sector Growth Models," Journal of Macroeconomics, 225-237 (1982).
- "Manipulation of Non-Imposed, Non-Oligarchic, Non-Binary Group Decision Rules," Economic Letters, 69-73 (1983).
- "Strategic Voting for Weakly Binary Group Decision Functions: The Case of Linear Individual Orderings"(with R. Deb), Social Choice and Welfare, 227-238 (1983).
- "Coalitional Manipultion and the Pareto Rule," Journal of Economic Theory, 359-365 (1983).
- "On a Class of Non-Manipulable Multivalued Collective Choice Rules," Mathematical Social Sciences, 79-86 (1983).
- "The Impossibility of a Weakly Path Independent Paretian Liberal," Economic Letters, 319-325 (1983).
- "On a Pareto Optimal and Rational Choice," Economic Journal, 115-122 (1983).
- "Multi-Valued Decision Rules and Coalitional Non-Manipulability: Two Possibility Theorems," Economic Letters, 37-44 (1983).
- "Some Remarks on Agricultural Backwardness Under Semi-Feudalism," with S. Ghatak, Indian Economic Review, 29-35 (1983).
- "On the Frontier Between Possibility and Impossibility Theorems in Social Choice," Journal of Economic Theory, 52-66 (1984).
- "Limited Resoluteness and Strategic Voting: The Case of Linear Sincere Preference Orderings," Mathematical Social Sciences, 109-117 (1984).
- "Pareto Optimality and the Decisive Power Structure with Expansion Consistency Conditions," Journal of Economic Theory, 366-375 (1985).
- "Resolution of Paradoxes in Social Choice," in Microeconomic Theory (edited by L. Samuelson), Boston, Kluwer-Nijhoff, 99-120 (1986).
- "Theoremi di Impossibilita' per Funzioni di Seelta Sociale" (with V. Denicolo'), Economia Politica, 207-231 (1986).
- "Rationality, Path Independence and the Power Structure," Journal of Economic Theory, 338-348 (1987).
- "Strategy-Proofness of Social Choice Functions," European Journal of Political Economy, 61-76 (1987).
- "Manipulation of Voting Mechanisms," The Logic of Multiparty Systems, (edited by M. J. Holler) Boston, Kluwer Academic Publisher, 79-96 (1988).
- "Extension of an Order on a Set to the Power Set: A Note on Kannai-Peleg Impossibility Theorem," Mathematical Social Sciences, 81-85 (1988).
- "Revealed Preference Theory, Ordering and the Axiom of Sequential Path Independence." Review of Economic Studies, 343-351 (1988).
- "Monetary Growth Models: The Role of Money Demand Functions," Recent Issues in Monetary Economics, (edited by T. Bandypadhyay and S. Ghatak), London, Wheatsheaf, 302-315 (1989).
- "Weak Strategy-Proofness: The Case of Non-Binary Social Choice Functions." Theory and Decision, 193-205 (1989).
- "Economics of the Import of a Factor of Production in a Sector Specific-Model," (with B. Bandyopadhyay), European Journal of Political Economy, 487-500 (1990).
- "Sequential Path Independence and Social Choice", Social Choice and Welfare, 209-220 (1990).
- "Revealed Preference and the Axiomatic Foundations of Intransitive Indifference: The Case of Asymmetric Subrelations", Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 419-434 (1991).
- "Revealed Preference Axioms for Rational Choice," (with K. Sengupta), Economic Journal, 202-213 (1991).
- "Weakly Implementable Social Choice Rules," (with Larry Samuelson), Theory and Decision, 135-151 (1992).
- "Characterization of Generalized Weak Orders and Revealed Preference," (with K. Sengupta), Economic Theory, 571-576 (1993).
- "Global Univalence When Functions Are Not Necessarily Continuous," (with T. Biswas), Journal of Mathematical Economics, 435-450 (1994).
- "Two Stage Least Squares Estimator for a Structural Equation Involving Both Exogenous and Endogenous Stochastic Coefficients," Journal of Quantitative Economics, 67-80 (1996).
- "Allocation of Investment in a New Market Economy," (with T. Biswas), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 359-375 (1997).
- "Choice Procedures and Rational Selections," Annals of Operations Research, 49-66, (1998).
- "Stochastic Revealed Preference and the Theory of Demand," (with Indraneel Dasgupta and Prasanta K. Pattanaik), Journal of Economic Theory, 95-110 (1999).
- "The Congruence Axiom and Path Independence," (with Kunal Sengupta), Journal of Economic Theory, 254-266, (1999).
- "Relation between Prices of Factors and Goods in General Equilibrium," (with Tapan Biswas), Journal of Quantitative Economics, 53-64, (2000).
- "Reputation and Signalling Quality Through Price Choice," (with Kalyan Chatterjee and Navendu Vasavada), Game Theory and Business Applications, edited by K. Chatterjee and W.F. Samuelson, Kluwer Academic, Boston, 213-246, (2001).
- "Demand Aggregation and the Weak Axiom of Stochastic Revealed Preference," (with Indraneel Dasgupta and Prasanta Pattanaik), Journal of Economic Theory, 483-489, (2002).
- "Intransitive Indifference and Rationalizability of Choice Functions on general Domains," (with Kunal Sengupta), Mathematical Social Sciences, (2003).
- "A General Revealed Preference Theorem for Stochastic Demand Behavior," (with Indraneel Dasgupta and Prasanta Pattanaik), Economic Theory, (2004).
- "A Relative View of Absolute Poverty: Some Implications for Identification, Aggregation and Policy Intervention," (with S. Subramanian), Topics in Applied Economics: Tools, Issues and Institutions, (edited by G.Mythili and R.Hema), New Delhi, Academic Foundation, (2005).
- "Rational Choice and von Neumann-Morgenstern's Stable Set: The Case of Path Dependent Procedures," (with Kunal Sengupta), Social Choice and Welfare, 611-619, (2006).
- "Revealed Preference," International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, Second Edition, Edited by William A. Darity, Detroit: Macmillan Reference U.S.A., (2008).
- "On Measuring Economic Development," Macroeconomics of Development, edited by Subrata Ghatak and Paul Levine , London: Routledge (forthcoming).
- Recent Issues in Monetary Economics (with S. Ghatak), London: Wheatsheaf (Dec. 1989).