Graduate School of Education
2109 Sproul Hall
- Democratic and Civic Education
- Educational Reform and Policy
- Digital Media, Urban School Reform
- Youth Development.
- B.A., Economics, Wesleyan University
- M.A., Political Science, Stanford University
- Ph.D., Educational Administration and Policy Analysis, Stanford University
Joseph Kahne is a professor and holds the Ted and Jo Dutton Presidential Chair in Educational Policy and Politics in the Graduate School of Education. He is also Chair of the MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Youth and Participatory Politics. Prior to becoming an academic, Joe taught high school social studies in the New York City Public Schools.
Professor Kahne’s research and reform work explores ways that educational programs and policies can influence the quality, quantity, and equality of youth civic and political development and participation. Currently, his work pays particular attention to new opportunities associated with the digital age. With Cathy Cohen, for example, he is Co-Principal Investigator of the YPP survey project. Scholarship from this project draws on a nationally representative panel survey of youth and examines engagement with new media and politics. He is also Co-PI with Erica Hodgin of Educating for Democracy in the Digital Age (EDDA). This work supports and studies a district-wide civic education effort in Oakland, CA. Professor Kahne's articles have received outstanding paper of the year awards from the American Educational Research Association, the American Political Science Association Division of Teaching and Learning, and several other organizations. He sits on the steering committee of the National Campaign for the Civic Mission of Schools and on advisory boards of several organizations including iCivics and the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning (CIRCLE).
Current Curriculum Vitae
Kahne, J. &, B.T. Bowyer (2016). Civic Education in a Partisan Age: Confronting the Challenges of Motivated Reasoning and Misinformation. American Educational Research Journal.
Middaugh, E., Bowyer, B.T., & Kahne, J. (Forthcoming). U Suk! Participatory media and youth experiences with political discourse. Youth and Society.
Kahne, J., Hodgin, E., Evans, C., Choi, Y.W. (Forthcoming). Expanding the Opportunity Structure for Civic Education in the Digital Age: A Strategy for Reform. In Tierney, W.G., Corwin, Z.B., & Ochsner, A. Eds. Digital Equity and Educational Opportunity. Johns Hopkins University Press.
Bowyer, B.T., Kahne, J. & Middaugh, E. (In Press). “Youth Comprehension of Political Messages in YouTube Videos.” New Media & Society.
Kahne, J., Hodgin, E., Eidman-Aadahl, E. (2016). Redesigning Civic Education for the Digital Age: In Pursuit of Equitable and Impactful Democratic Education. Theory and Research in Social Education. 44:1, 1-35.
Bowyer, B.T., Kahne, J. & Middaugh, E. (In Press). “Youth Comprehension of Political Messages in YouTube Videos.” New Media & Society.
Kahne, J., Crow, D., & Lee, N. (2013). Different Pedagogy, Different Politics: High School Learning Opportunities and Youth Political Engagement. Political Psychology. 34(3), 419-441.
Kahne, J., Lee, N, & Feezell, J. (2013). The Civic and Political Significance of Online Participatory Cultures among Youth Transitioning to Adulthood. Journal of Information Technology and Politics. 10(1).
Kahne, J. & Middaugh, E. (2013) Digital Media Shapes Youth Participation in Politics. Phi Delta Kappan. 94(3), 52-56.
Kahne, J., Feezell, J., & Lee, N. (2012). Digital Media Literacy Education and Online Civic and Political Participation. International Journal of Communication 6, 1-24.
Kahne, J., Middaugh, E., Lee, N, Feezell, J. (2011). Youth Online Activity and Exposure to Diverse Perspectives. New Media and Society, 14(3), 492-512.
Kahne, J. and Sporte, S. (2008). Developing Citizens: The Impact of Civic Learning Opportunities on Students’ Commitment to Civic Participation. American Educational Research Journal, 45(3), 738-766.
Kahne, J., Sporte, S., De la Torre, M., and Easton, J. (2008). Small high schools on a larger scale: The impact of school conversions in Chicago. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 30(3), 281-315.
Kahne, J. and Middaugh, E. (2008). High Quality Civic Education: What It Is and Who Gets It. Social Education. 72(1), 34-39.
Kahne, J. & Middaugh, E. (2006). Is Patriotism Good for Democracy? A Study of High School Seniors’ Patriotic Commitments. Phi Delta Kappan. 87(8). 600-607.
[Reprinted in Westheimer, J. Ed. (2007). Pledging Alegience: What Should we Teach our Children about Patriotism? New York: Teachers College Press.]
[Reprinted in Devitis, J.L. Ed. (2011). Critical Civic Literacy: A Reader New York: Peter Lang.]
- Kahne, J. & Westheimer, J. (2006). The Limits of Political Efficacy: Educating Citizens for a Democratic Society. PS: Political Science and Politics. 39(2). 289-296.
- Kahne, J., Chi, B., Middaugh, E. (2006). Building Social Capital for Civic and Political Engagement: The Potential of High School Government Courses. Canadian Journal of Education. 29(2), 387-409
Westheimer, J. & Kahne, J. (Summer, 2004). What Kind of Citizen? The Politics of Educating for Democracy, American Educational Research Journal 41 (2). Pp. 237-269.
Westheimer, J. & Kahne, J. (April, 2004). Educating the "Good" Citizen: The Politics of Teaching Democracy. PS: Political Science and Politics 37(2).
Kahne, J. & Westheimer, J. (2003). Teaching Democracy: What Schools Need to Do. Phi Delta Kappan. 85(1). Pp. 34-40, 57-66.
Westheimer, J. & Kahne, J. (2003). Reconnecting Education to Democracy: Democratic Dialogues. Phi Delta Kappan. 85(1). Pp. 9-14.
- Kahne, J, O’Brien, J, Brown, A., & Quinn, T. (2001). Leveraging social capital and school improvement: The case of a school network and a comprehensive community initiative in Chicago. Educational Administration Quarterly, 37(4), 429-461.
- Kahne, J. and Sodikoff, R. R. (2001). After-School Dreams: Valuable Lessons Emerge from a Successful Inner-City Program. American School Board Journal. 188 (9), 41-43.
- Quinn, T., and Kahne, J. (2001). Wide awake to the world: Youth, community artists, and urban schools. Curriculum Inquiry. 31(1), 11-32.
- Kahne, J., Nagaoka, J., Brown, A., O'Brien, J., Quinn, T., Thiede, K. (2001). Assessing after-school programs as contexts for youth development. Youth and Society, 32(4), 421-446.
- Kahne, J., Rodriguez, M., Smith, B., Thiede, K. (2000). Developing citizens for democracy? Assessing opportunities to learn in Chicago’s social studies classrooms. Theory and Research in Social Studies Education. 28 (3), 311-338.
- Kahne, J., Westheimer, J., and Rogers, B. (2000). Service learning and citizenship in higher education. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning. Fall, 42-51.
Kahne, J. and Westheimer, J. (2000). Collective action, collective reflection: Preparing teachers for collective school leadership. Journal of Teacher Education.51 (5), 372-3 83.
Kahne, J. & Bailey, K. (1999). The role of social capital in youth development: The case of "I Have a Dream. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis. 21(3), 321-343.
[This article received the Palmer O. Johnson Award from the American Educational Research Association (AERA) for an outstanding article published in an AERA journal.]
Shipps, D., Kahne, J, Smylie, M. (1999). Asserting the center: Recentralization in Chicago's decentralized school system. Educational Policy 13(4), 518-545.
Kahne, J. (1999) Personalized Philanthropy: Can it support youth and build civic commitments? Youth and Society. 30(3), 367-387.
Kahne, J., Honig, M.I., and McLaughlin, M.W. (1998). The civic components of community youth development. New Designs for Youth Development, 14(3), 9-11,47.
[Reprinted in Community Youth Development Anthology: 2002]
Kahne, J. & McLaughlin, M. (1998). A theory-driven study of community service programs for youth: Framing issues for policy and practice. New Designs for Youth Development, 14(1), 17-22.
Smylie, M. A., & Kahne, J. (1997). Why "what works" doesn't in teacher education. Education and Urban Society, 29(3), 355-372.
Reprinted (1996) in The Center on Education in the Inner Cities (CEIC) Review, 5(1), 4,5,7.
Kahne, J. (1996). The politics of self-esteem. American Educational Research Journal, 33(1), 3-22.
Kahne, J. & Westheimer, J. (1996). In the service of what? The politics of service learning. Phi Delta Kappan, 77(9), 592-599.
[Reprinted in Klaus, J. Ed. (1999). Community Service Learning for Youth Empowerment. Peter Lang Publishing: New York, New York.]
Kahne, J. (1996). Rethinking education for citizenship. The Responsive Community, 6(4), 6-9.
Kahne, J. (1995). Revisiting the eight-year study and rethinking the focus of educational policy analysis. Educational Policy, 9(1), 4-23
Kelley, C. & Kahne, J. (1995). Designing effective school- linked services programs: Lessons from collaborative programs for children with disabilities. Journal of School Leadership, 5(2), 163-82.
Kahne, J. (1994). Democratic communities, equity and excellence: A Deweyan reframing of educational policy analysis. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 16 (2), 233-48.
Westheimer, J. & Kahne J. (1993). Building school communities: An experience-based model. Phi Delta Kappan, 75(4), 324-28.
[Reprinted in Annual Editions, 1995: Education. The Dushkin Publishing Group, Inc.: Guilford, CT. ]
Kahne, J., & Kelley, C. (1993). Assessing the coordination of children's services: Dilemmas facing program administrators, evaluators and policy analysts. Education and Urban Society, 25(2), 187-200.
Westheimer, J., Kahne, J., & Gerstein, A. (1992). School reform in the 90's: Opportunities and obstacles for experiential educators." The Journal of Experiential Education, 15(2), 44-49.
[Reprinted in R. Kraft & J. Kielsmeier, Eds. (1994). Experiential Learning in Schools and Higher Education. Kendall-Hunt Publishing: Dubuque, Iowa.]
McLaughlin, M., & Talbert, J. with Kahne, J. & Powell, J. (1990). Constructing a personalized school environment. Phi Delta Kappan, 72(3), 230-235.
- Kahne, J. (1996). Reframing Educational Policy: Democracy, Community, and the Individual . New York: Teachers College Press.
Book Chapters and Reports
- Kahne, J., Hodgin, E., Evans, C., Choi, Y.W. (Forthcoming). Expanding the Opportunity Structure for Civic Education in the Digital Age: A Strategy for Reform. In Tierney, W.G., Corwin, Z.B., & Ochsner, A. Eds. Digital Equity and Educational Opportunity . Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Kahne, J., Middaugh, E., & Allen, D. (2015). Youth New Media, and the Rise of Participatory Politics. In Allen, D. and Light, J. eds. From Voice to Influence: Understanding Citizenship in a Digital Age. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Cohen, C., Kahne, J, Bowyer, B., Middaugh, E., and Rogowski J. (2012). Participatory Politics: New Media and Youth Political Action. Youth and Participatory Politics Research Network. Oakland, CA. June 2012. http://ypp.dmlcentral.net/sites/all/files/publications/YPP_Survey_Report_FULL.pdf
- Kahne, J., Ulman, J., & Middaugh, E. (2011). Digital Opportunities for Civic Education. Washington, DC: American Enterprise Institute. Reprinted in Campbell, D.E., Levinson, M. and Hess, F.M. eds. (2012). Making Civics Count: Citizenship Education for a New Generation. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press. (pp. 207-228).
Kahne, J. and Middaugh, E. (2009).
Democracy for Some: The Civic Opportunity Gap in High School
. In Youniss, J. and Levine, P. eds.
Engaging Young People in Civic Life
. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press.
Earlier version published as: Working Paper #59. Washington, DC: The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning (CIRCLE).
- Middaugh, E. & Kahne, J. (2009). Online Localities: Implications for Democracy and Education. Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education, 108(1), 234-266.
- Kahne, J., Middaugh, E., and Evans, C. (2009). The Civic Potential of Video Games. The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and Learning. Cambridge. MIT Press.
- Lenhart, A. , Kahne, J, Middaugh, E., Macgill, A., Evans, C., Vitak, J. (2008). Teens, Video Games, and Civics. A joint publication of the Pew Internet and American Life Project and the MacArthur Foundation. Available at: http://www.civicsurvey.org/PIP_Teens_Games_and_Civics_Report_FINAL.pdf
- Middaugh, E., Kahne, J. (2008). Civic Development in Context: The Influence of Local Contexts on High School Students’ Beliefs about Civic Engagement . In Bixby, J. and Pace, J. eds. Educating Democratic Citizens in Troubled Times: Qualitative Studies of Current Efforts . New York: State University of New York Press.
- Rogers, J., Kahne, J., and Middaugh, E. (2007). Multiple Pathways, Vocational Education, and the “Future of Democracy.” Multiple Perspectives on Multiple Pathways Series, CA: UCLA.
- Kahne, J., Sporte, S., De la Torre, M., and Easton, J. (2006). Small Schools on a Larger Scale: The First Three Years of the Chicago High School Redesign Initiative. Consortium on Chicago School Research, University of Chicago.
- Kahne, J., Bridge, C., & O’Brien, J. (2002). Teacher Learning Counts: Improving Instruction in One Urban High School Through Comprehensive Professional Development. In Lee, V. Ed., Reforming Chicago’s High Schools: Research Perspectives on School and System Level Change . Chicago: Consortium on Chicago School Research.
- Westheimer, J. & Kahne, J. (2002). Educating for Democrac y, in Hayduk, R. and Mattson, K. (Ed.s), Democracy’s Moment. New York: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Honig, M., Kahne, J., McLaughlin, M.W. (2001). School-Community connections: Strengthening opportunity to learn and opportunity to teach. In V. Richardson, (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Teaching. (4th Ed., pp. 998-1028). Washington, DC: American Educational Research Association.
- Kahne, J., Nagaoka, J., Brown, A., O'Brien, J., Quinn, T., Thiede, K. (2000). School and after school programs as contexts for youth development: A qualitative and quantitative assessment. In M. Wang and W. Boyd (Eds.), Improving Results for Children and Families by Connecting Collaborative Services with School Reform Efforts. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
Westheimer, J. & Kahne, J. (1998).
Education for action: Preparing youth for participatory democracy.
In W. Ayers and T. Quinn (Eds.),
Teaching for social justice: A democracy and education reader
. New York: New Press and Teachers College Press.
[Reprinted in “The School Field: International Journal of Theory and Research in Education.” 11(1/2), Spring/Summer 2000].
Kahne, J. (1996).
Entry on Justice.
In J.J. Chambliss (Ed.),
Philosophy of Education: An Encyclopedia
, New York: Garland Publishing.
- Kahne, J. (March 22, 2015). Should we Teach Civics Via a Game Show? Commentary, Education Week.
- Kahne, J. (October 20, 2014). “Why Getting Kids ‘College and Career Ready’ Isn’t Enough.” Answer Sheet Blog, Washington Post.
- Kahne, J. (October 31, 2012). “If Teachers Moderated Presidential Debates.” Blog, Huffington Post.
- Kahne, J. and Cohen, C. (July 3, 2012). “Political Pioneers or Bed Texters.” Blog, Huffington Post.
- Kahne, J. (March 15, 2011). “Congress Decides Literacy is a Bridge to Nowhere.” Blog, Huffington Post.
- Kahne, J. (February 23, 2011). “Is the Virtual World Good for the Real One?” Blog, Huffington Post.
- Kahne, J. and Levine, P. (March 9, 2008). Youth Voting Surge Exposes Education Gap. Op-Ed in the SF Chronicle.
- Kahne, J. (November 5, 2000). Volunteerism and voting not enough to nurture democracy. Op-ed, San Francisco Chronicle. p. 7
- Westheimer, J. & Kahne, J. (January 26, 2000). Service learning required – But what exactly do students learn? Education Week. Back Page Commentary.
Educational Remedies for School Segregation: A Social Science Statement
, Amicus Brief to the United States Supreme Court in
Missouri v. Jenkins
, December, 1994 (Contributing author and signatory).
[Reprinted in The Urban Review, 27, 207-233]
- Kahne, J. (1999). [Review of Robert A. Rhodes' Community service and higher learning: Explorations of the caring self ]. American Journal of Sociology. 104(4), 1234-35.
- Kahne, J. (1997). [Review of Roger Soder's Democracy, Education, and the Schools ]. Educational Policy, 11 (1), 134-37.
- Kahne, J., (1996). [Review of Amitai Etzioni's The Spirit of Community: Rights, Responsibilities and the Communitarian Agenda ]. Harvard Educational Review, 66 (4), 844-48.
- Kahne, J. (1996). [Review of Tony Townsend's Efective Education for the Community: Core-plus Education ]. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 28 (2), 230-33.