Graduate School of Education
2103 Sproul Hall
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, Psychology
- M.A., New York University, Sociology of Education
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles, Education
Online Article, "Where You Work Matters"
NPR interview for Michael Krasney's show, "How Do You Say That? The Trouble With Pronouncing Names":
Blog Post for the Equity Alliance from ASU:
- Picower, B. & Kohli, R. (Eds.) (forthcoming 2017 ). Navigating Racial Justice in Teacher Education: Case Studies from Critical Teacher Educators. Routledge.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Kohli, R. Pizarro, M. & Nevarez, A. (in press, 2017 ). The ‘New Racism’ of K-12 Schools: Centering Critical Research on Racism. 2017 Review of Research in Education.
Kohli, R. (2016). Behind school doors: The racialization of teachers of color in urban public
schools. Urban Education. 1-27
Kohli, R. & Pizarro, M. (2016). Fighting to educate our own: Teachers of color, relational
accountability and the struggle for racial justice. Equity and Excellence in Education. 49(1): 72- 84.
Kohli, R., Picower, B., Martinez, A. & Ortiz, N. (2015). Critical professional development:
Centering the social justice needs of teachers. International Journal of Critical Pedagogy. 6(2)
Tintiangco-Cubales, A., Kohli, R. , Sacramento, J., Henning, N., Agarwal-Ragnath, R., & Sleeter, C. (2015). Toward an ethnic studies pedagogy: Implications for K-12 schools from the research. The Urban Review 47(1): 104-125.
Kohli, R. (2014). Unpacking internalized racism: teachers of color striving for racially just classrooms. Race Ethnicity and Education , 17 (3), 367-387. *Named one of the most significant empirical contributions from June 2013-May 2014 by NCTE’s Research in the Teaching of English (RTE) .
- Kohli, R. (2012). Racial Pedagogy of the Oppressed: Critical Interracial Dialogue for Teachers of Color. Education, Equity and Excellence. 45(1), 181-196.
Kohli, R. , & Solorzano, D. G. (2012). Teachers, please learn our names!: racial microagressions and the K-12 classroom. Race Ethnicity and Education , 15(4), 441-462.
Kohli, R. (2009). Critical race reflections: Valuing the experiences of teachers of color in teacher education. Race Ethnicity and Education , 12 (2), 235-251.
Kohli, R. (2008). Breaking the cycle of racism in the classroom: Critical race reflections from future teachers of color. Teacher Education Quarterly, 35(4), 177-188.
- Huber, L. P., Johnson, R. N., & Kohli, R. (2006). Naming racism: A conceptual look at internalized racism in US schools. Chicano-Latino L. Rev. , 26 , 183.
- Jackson, T. & Kohli, R. (Eds.) (In Press). Critical issues of teachers of color: Preservice through induction years. Equity and Excellence in Education. 49(1): 1-8.
- Kohli, R. & Pham, J. (Revise and Resubmit). Towards critical race praxis: developing teachers’ structural analysis of racial inequality. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education.
- Kohli, R. (Under Review). Lessons for Teacher Education: The Role of Racial Literacy in Teacher of Color Retention. Part of special issue, Journal of Teacher Education.
- Pizarro, M. & Kohli, R. (In Preparation). I’m not crazy!: Teachers of Color and the impact of racial battle fatigue. Intended submission, Harvard Educational Review
- Burciaga, R. & Kohli, R. (In Preparation). The Community Cultural Wealth of Racial Justice Oriented Teachers of Color. Intended submission, Multicultural Perspectives
- Kohli, R. & Picower, B. (In Preparation). Confronting Racism in Teacher Education.
- Kohli, R. & Pham, J. (In Preparation). Separating Labor from Humanity: The Commodification of Teachers of Color.
- Pham, J. & Kohli, R. (In press, 2017). Cultivating Teachers as Change Agents: A Model of Critical Race Professional Development. In Portraits of Anti-Racist Alternative Teacher Preparation in the U.S.: Framing Teacher Development for Community, Justice and Visionaries. Ed. Gist, C.
- Kohli, R. (2016). Beyond the demographics: Supporting the retention, growth and success of critical teachers of color. In Diversifying the Teaching Force in Transnational Contexts: Critical Perspectives. Eds. Schmidt, C. & Schneider, J. Sense Publishers.
- Kohli, R. (2014). Racial pedagogy of the oppressed: Critical interracial dialogue for teachers of color. Reprint from Education, Equity and Excellence in: Intergroup Dialogue: Engaging Difference, Social Identities and Social Justice. Eds. Zuniga, X., Lopez, G., & Ford, K. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Kohli, R. (2012). Breaking the cycle of racism in the classroom: Critical race reflections from future teachers of color. Reprinted from Teacher Education Quarterly in: The Evolving Significance of Race: Living, Learning and Teaching. Eds. Berry, T. & Hughes, S.; Creskill, NJ: Hampton Press (invited chapter). *Book received 2014 Critics Choice Award by the American Educational Studies Association.
- Kohli, R. & Solórzano, D. (2011). Racial conflict in communities of color and high school student activism. In Marching Students: Chicana/o Identity and the Politics of Education 1968 and the Present. Eds. Urrieta, L. & Revilla, A. Reno, NV: University of Nevada Press (invited chapter).
Electronic Publications and Magazines
Kohli, R. (2015). Where we work matters: School racial climate influences retention for teachers of color. Diversity Recruitment Partners in Education Magazine.
- Kohli, R. (2013). Making the Invisible Visible: Addressing the Needs of Teachers of Color. University of Arizona Equity Alliance, Leadcast Blog.