- Conceptions of teaching, questioning and discussion processes, philosophy of education
- B.A., History, St. Mary's College, Minnesota
- M.A., Education, University of Chicago
- M.A., History, Chicago State University
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of Chicago
What I like about being at the GSOE:
The opportunity to think, write and teach. Here one can pursue one’s own research and teaching.
How I discovered my professional passion:
Teaching high school in Chicago. I decided I would go to the University of Chicago to understand the mystery of teaching and learning, because it perplexed me when I was a teacher. It is within our reach. It’s not easy, but it’s not beyond us.
One of the best questions a student asked me:
Every student question is important, no matter what it is, as long as it is a question from his or her mind.
- Dillon, J.T. (forthcoming in 2009). The Questions of Education.
- Dillon, J.T. (2004). Musonius Rufus and Education in the Good Life. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Dillon, J.T. (1995). Jesus as a Teacher: A Multidisciplinary Study. San Francisco: International Scholars Publications.
- Dillon, J.T. (Ed.). (1994). Deliberation in Education and Society. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Dillon, J.T. (1994). Using Discussion in Classrooms. Buckingham, England: Open University Press.
- Dillon, J.T. (1990). The Practice of Questioning. London and New York, NY: Routledge.
- Dillon, J.T. (1988). Questioning and Teaching: a Manual of Practice. London: Croom; New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Dillon, J.T. (Ed.) (1988). Questioning and Discussion: a Multidisciplinary Study. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Piveteau, D.J. & Dillon, J.T. (1977). Resurgence of Religious Instruction: Conception and Practice in a World of Change. Notre Dame: Religious Education Press.
- Dillon, J.T. (1971, reissued 1990). Personal Teaching: Efforts to Combine Personal Love and Professional Skill in the Classroom. [In the series, Studies of the Person, C.R. Rogers & W.R. Coulson (Eds.)]. Columbus, OH: Charles E. Merrill. Reissue, Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Dillon, J.T. (Ed. and contributor). (1968). Catechetics Reconsidered: Readings in Catechetics for High School Teachers. Winona, MN: St. Mary’s College Press.