J. William Gary
J. William Gary
Department of Physics & Astronomony
- Experimental High Energy Physics
Professor Gary is a member of the CMS Collaboration at the CERN Laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland, and the BABAR Collaboration at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. On CMS, his physics interests are in searches for Supersymmetric particles. On BABAR, his main interests are in charmless hadronic decays of B mesons, to test the Standard Model mechanism for CP violations and to search for signatures of physics beyond the Standard Model through loop processes.
Professor Gary is also a member of the OPAL Collaboration at CERN and of the Coordinated Theoretical-Experimental Project on QCD (CTEQ). On OPAL, he led studies establishing the basic phenomenology of differences between gluon and quark jets, placing the field of experimental gluon jet physics on a quantitative footing.
Ph.D., 1985, University of California Berkeley
Awards and Fellowships:
Professor Gary is a recipient of the Outstanding Junior Investigator Award from the US Department of Energy (1992). He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1999) and of the American Physical Society (2005).
- BaBar Collaboration, "Measurement of B+ → ρ+ρ0 and Precise Determination of the CKM Angle alpha," in press (2008).
- BaBar Collaboration, "Observation of B+ → ρ+K0 and Measurement of its Branching Fraction and Charge Asymmetry," Phys. Rev. D 76 (2007) 011103.
- BaBar Collaboration, "Search for the Decay of a B0 or B0 Meson to K*0 K0 or K*0 K0," Phys. Rev. D 74 (2006) 072008.
- OPAL Collaboration, "Tests of Models of Color Reconnection and a Search for Glueballs using Gluon Jets with a Rapidity Gap," Eur. Phys. J. C 35 (2004), 293−312.
- I.M. Dremin and J.W. Gary, "Hadron Multiplicities," Physics Reports 349 (2001) 301−393.
- OPAL Collaboration, "Experimental Properties of Gluon and Quark Jets from a Point Source," Eur. Phys. Jour. C 11 (1999), 217-238.
- J.W. Gary, "Multiplicity Difference between Quark and Gluon Jets," Phys. Rev. D 49 (1994) 4503−4509.
- OPAL Collaboration, "A Study of Differences Between Quark and Gluon Jets using Vertex Tagging of Quark Jets," Z. Phys. C 58 (1993) 387−403.