Department of Physics & Astronomony
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics, Nanometer-Scale Physics
Professor Lau's current research effort is to explore novel physics and phenomena of nanoscale systems such as nanowires, carbon nanotubes and organic molecules. The goal of her research is to understand and exploit such phenomena that arise from quantum confinement of atoms and molecules in order to engineer new classes of electronic and electromechanical devices.
Ph.D. 2001, Harvard University
- NSF CAREER Award (2008)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (2009)
- C.N. Lau, D. Stewart, R. Stanley Williams and M. Bockrath, "Direct Observation of Nanoscale Switching Centers in Metal/Molecule/Metal Structures", Nano Letter, 4, 569(2004).
- C. N. Lau, N. Markovic, M. Bockrath, A. Bezryadin, and M. Tinkham, "Quantum Phase Slips in Superconducting Nanowires", Phys. Rev. Lett., 87, 217003 (2001).
- A. Bezryadin, C. N. Lau, and M. Tinkham, "Quantum Suppression of Superconductivity in Ultrathin Nanowires", Nature, 404, 397 (2000).
- Miao, F.; Wijeratne, S.; Zhang, Y.; Coskun, U.; Bao, W.; Lau, C. N., Phase Coherent Transport in Graphene Quantum Billiards. Science 2007, 317, 1530.
- Calizo, I.; Balandin, A. A.; Bao, W.; Miao, F.; Lau, C. N., Temperature Dependence of Raman Spectra of Graphene and Graphene Multi-Layers. Nano Letters 2007, 7, 2645.
- Calizo, I.; Miao, F.; Bao, W.; Lau, C. N.; Balandin, A. A., Variable Temperature Raman Microscopy as Nanometrology Tool for the Graphene Layers and Graphene-Based Devices. Applied Physics Letters 2007, 91, 071913.
- Calizo, I.; Bao, W.; Miao, F.; Lau, C. N.; Balandin, A. A., The Effect of Substrates on theRaman Spectrum of Graphene: Graphene on Sapphire and Graphene on Glass. Applied Physics Letters 2007, 91, 201904.
- Balandin, A. A.; Ghosh, S.; Bao, W.; Calizo, I.; Teweldebrhan, D.; Miao, F.; Lau, C. N., Superior Thermal Conductivity of Single-Layer Graphene. Nano Letter 2008, to appear.