Department of Physics & Astronomony
- Experimental High Energy Physics
Professor Ellison has been a leader in the DØ Collaboration's measurements of electroweak boson pair production. These processes are particularly interesting since they probe the non-Abelian gauge boson trilinear couplings of the Standard Model (i.e. the WW γ and WWZ couplings). These processes are also sensistive to deviations from the tree-level Standard Model couplings, which may arise due to compositeness of the W and Z bosons, SUSY radiative loop corrections, or other non-SM phenomena. Acting as Electroweak Physics convener in the DØ Collaboration, Professor Ellison has also made contributions to measurements of many other properties of the W and Z bosons.
Prof. Ellison has worked on the design, fabrication, and testing of silicon microstrip detectors for the DØ Silicon Microstrip Tracker (SMT). These charged particle detectors have the capability of selecting events containing B-hadron decays by precisely measuring secondary vertices which, due to the B lifetime of 1.5 psec, is significantly detached from the primary proton-antiproton interaction vertex. This capability is crucial for the DØ top quark and B physics program as well as the search for the Higgs boson. The SMT is now installed in DØ and is fully operational.
Ph.D. 1987, Imperial College, London
Personal Home Page
Awards and Fellowships:
- Research Fellowship, Science and Engineering Research Council, UK (1987)
- Outstanding Junior Investigator, Department of Energy (1993)
- DØ Collaboration, "Direct Limits on the Bs 0 Oscillation Frequency," Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 021802 (2006), hep-ex/0603029.
- DØ Collaboration, "Measurement of the Lifetime Difference in the Bs System," Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 171801 (2005).
- DØ Collaboration, "A Measurement of the Ratio of Inclusive Cross Sections p p → Zb / p −> Zj at √s = 1.96 TeV," Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 161801 (2005).
- DØ Collaboration, "A Search for Wbb and WH Production in p p Collisions at √s = 1.96 TeV," Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 091802 (2005).
- DØ Collaboration, "A precision measurement of the mass of the top quark," Nature 429, 638 (2004).
- J. Ellison, "Top Quark Physics Results from DØ," Proceedings of the Lake Louise Winter Institute, Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada, 15−21 February 2004, Worl Scientific Publishing (2005), A. Astbury, B.A. Campbell, F.C. Khanna, and M.G. Vincter Eds., pp.160−164.
- DØ Collaboration, "Improved W Boson Mass Measurement with the DØ Detector," Phys. Rev. D 66, 012001 (2002).
- J. Ellison, The DØ "Detector Upgrade and Physics Program," Proceedings of the 15th International Workshop on High Energy Physics and Quantum Field Theory, Tver, Russia, 14−20 September, 2000, Moscow State University Press (2001) M.N. Dubibib and V.I. Savrin (Eds.), hep-ex/0101048.
- DØ Collaboration, "Studies of WW and WZ Production and Limits on Anomalous WWgamma and WWZ Couplings," Phys. Rev. D 60 072002 (1999).
- J. Ellison, "W and Z Properties at the Tevatron," Proceedings of the International Europhysics Conference on High Energy Physics, Tampere, Finland, 15−21 July, 1999, Institute of Physics (2000) K. Huito, H. Kurki-Suonio, and J. Maatampi (Eds.), hep-ex/9910037.
- J. Ellison and J. Wudka, "Study of Trilinear Gauge Boson Couplings at the Tevatron Collider," Annual Review of Nuclear and Particle Science 48, 33 (1998).
- DØ Collaboration, "Limits on Anomalous WWγ and WWZ Couplings," Phys. Rev. D (Rapid Communications) 58, 031102 (1998).
- DØ Collaboration, "Studies of Gauge Boson Pair Production and Trilinear Couplings," Phys. Rev. D 56, 6742 (1997).
- DØ Collaboration, "Limits on Anomalous WWγ Couplings from pp → Wγ + X Events at √s = 1.8 TeV," Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 3634 (1997).