Jory A. Yarmoff
Jory A. Yarmoff
Department of Physics & Astronomony
- Experimental Surface Science, Nanometer-Scale Physics, Environmental Physics
Professor Yarmoff investigates the physical and chemical properties of solid surfaces. Such studies provide an atomic-scale picture of surface geometric, electronic and chemical structures, chemical reactions that occur at surfaces, and the interaction of radiation with surfaces. This work is part of the growing field of nanoscience, and is relevant to the mission of UCR's Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering.
Prof. Yarmoff's research program involves both the application of existing techniques to important physical, chemical, technological and environmental problems, as well as the development of new techniques. Current efforts include the use of neutralization during ion scattering as a measure of the electronic structure of adatoms, molecules and nanostructures, the investigation of high mobility organic single crystal semiconductor surfaces, and the interaction of radiation with the surface of surrogate nuclear materials. The particular projects are described in more detail on the Group home page.
Ph.D., 1985, University of California, Los Angeles
- W.C. Simpson and J.A. Yarmoff, "Fundamental Studies of Halogen Reactions with III-V Semiconductor Surfaces", Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem. 47, 527-554 (1996).
- J..A. Yarmoff, T.D. Liu, S.R. Qiu and Z. Sroubek, "Mechanism of electron emission from Al(100) bombarded by slow Li+ ions", Phys. Rev. Lett. 80, 2469-2472 (1998).
- W.K. Wang, W.C. Simpson and J.A. Yarmoff, "Passivation versus etching: Adsorption of I2 on InAs(001)", Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 1465-1468 (1998).
- S.R. Qiu, H.-F. Lai, M.J. Roberson, M.L. Hunt, C. Amrhein, L.C. Giancarlo, G.W. Flynn and J.A. Yarmoff, "The removal of contaminants from aqueous solution by reaction with iron surfaces", Langmuir 16, 2230-2236 (2000).
- S.R. Qiu, H.-F. Lai, and J.A. Yarmoff, "Self-limiting growth of metal fluoride thin films by oxidation reactions employing molecular precursors", Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 1492-1495 (2000).
- J.A. Yarmoff, Y. Yang and Z. Sroubek, "Imaging the internal electronic structure of a surface adsorbate with low energy ions", Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 086104/1-4 (2003).
- Y. Yang and J.A. Yarmoff, "Charge Exchange in Li Scattering from Si Surfaces", Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 196102/1-4 (2002).
- G.F. Liu, Z Sroubek and J.A. Yarmoff, "Detection of Quantum Confined States in Au Nanoclusters by Alkali Ion Scattering", Phys. Rev. Lett., submitted 10/03, 15 pages, in press.