Department of Physics & Astronomony
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
My research interests lie in the field of theoretical condensed matter physics where I am focusing on strongly correlated systems and their potential application for quantum computation. I am particularly interested in the physics of frustration, both classical and quantum. Effects of frustration tend to suppress conventional ordered phases. This, in turn, may give way to the appearance of new, unconventional phases at low enough temperatures. One fascinating possibility is so-called fractionalized phases. As the name suggests, the excitations in such systems carry fractions of "normal" particles' charge and spin and have other unusual properties, such as fractional exchange statistics which makes them very attractive candidates for some interesting schemes of fault-tolerant quantum computation. My interests also involve statistical mechanics of frustrated systems.
Ph.D. 1999, University of California, Los Angeles
NSF CAREER Award (2008)
- M. Troyer, S. Trebst, K. Shtengel, C. Nayak, "Local Interactions and Non-Abelian Quantum Loop Gases", Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 230401 (2008), preprint: arXiv:0805.2177.
- P. Bonderson, K. Shtengel and J. K. Slingerland, "Interferometry of non-Abelian anyons", Ann. Phys. 323, 2709 (2008), preprint: arXiv:0707.4206.
- F. Pollmann, J. J. Betouras, K. Shtengel, P. Fulde, "Correlated Fermions on a Checkerboard Lattice", Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 170407 (2006), preprint: cond-mat/0607202.
- P. Bonderson, K. Shtengel and J. K. Slingerland, "Probing Non-Abelian Statistics with Quasiparticle Interferometry", Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 016401 (2006), preprint: cond-mat/0601242.
- P. Bonderson, A. Kitaev and K. Shtengel, "Detecting Non-Abelian Statistics in the ν=5/2 Fractional Quantum Hall State", Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 016803 (2006), preprint: cond-mat/0508616.
- K. Shtengel, C. Nayak, W. Bishara and C. Chamon, "No sliding in time", J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. 38, L589 (2005), preprint: cond-mat/0506710.
- M. Freedman, C. Nayak and K. Shtengel, "Line of Critical Points in 2+1 Dimensions: Quantum Critical Loop Gases and Non-Abelian Gauge Theory", Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 147205 (2005), preprint: cond-mat/0408257.
- K. Shtengel and L. Chayes, "Vertex Models and Random Labyrinths: Phase Diagrams for Ice-type Vertex Models", J. Stat. Mech. (2005) P07006, preprint: cond-mat/0402615.
- M. Freedman, C. Nayak and K. Shtengel, "Extended Hubbard model with ring exchange: a route to a non-Abelian topological phase", Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 066401 (2005), preprint: cond-mat/0312273.
- M. Freedman, C. Nayak, K. Shtengel, K. Walker, and Z. Wang, "A Class of P, T-Invariant Topological Phases of Interacting Electrons", Ann. Phys. 310, 428 (2004), preprint: cond-mat/0307511.
- Chetan Nayak and Kirill Shtengel, "Microscopic models of two-dimensional magnets with fractionalized excitations", Phys. Rev. B 64, 064422 (2001), preprint: cond-mat/0010242.
- L. Chayes, L. P. Pryadko, and K. Shtengel, "Intersecting Loop Models on d Z : Rigorous Results", Nucl. Phys. B 570, 590 (2000); preprint: cond-mat/9910292.