Department of Physics & Astronomony
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
My research focuses on theoretical condensed matter physics, in particular properties of novel materials and nanostructures where the presence of strong interactions and disorder leads to a wide range of macroscopic quantum effects.
Current and recent projects involve investigation of the electronic properties of a d-wave superconducting quantum wire, study of the behavior of correlated electrons in a high magnetic field and the magnetotransport properties of graphite and bismuth, development of a renormalization-group method for studying interacting electrons coupled to bosonic excitations such as phonons and its application to electron-phonon systems in one and two-dimensions, and to Bose-Fermi mixtures in artificial lattices of cold atoms.
Ph.D. 2000, Brown University
NSF CAREER Award (2009)
- N. M. R. Peres, F. D. Klironomos, S.-W. Tsai, J. R. Santos, J. M. B. Lopes dos Santos, and A. H. Castro Neto, "Electron waves in chemically substituted graphene", Europhysics Letters 80, 67007 (2007) .
- F. D. Klironomos and S.-W. Tsai, "Pairing and density-wave phases in Boson- Fermion mixtures at fixed filling", Physical Review Letters 99, 100401 (2007) .
- R. Roldan, M. P. Lopez-Sancho, F. Guinea, and S.-W. Tsai, "Self-energy corrections to anisotropic Fermi surfaces", Physical Review B 74, 235109 (2006) .
- F. D. Klironomos and S.-W. Tsai, "Phonon-mediated tuning of instabilities in the Hubbard model at half-filling", Physical Review B 74, 205109 (2006) .
- Z. Q. Li, S.-W. Tsai, W. J. Padilla, S. V. Dordevic, K. S. Burch, Y. J. Wang, and D. N. Basov, "Infrared probe of the anomalous magnetotransport of highly oriented pyrolytic graphite in the extreme quantum limit", Physical Review B 74, 195404 (2006) .
- L. Mathey, S.-W. Tsai, and A. H. Castro Neto, "Competing types of order in two-dimensional Bose-Fermi mixtures", Physical Review Letters 97, 030601 (2006) .
- K.-M. Tam, S.-W. Tsai, and D. K. Campbell, "Functional renormalization group analysis of the half-filled one-dimensional extended Hubbard model", Physical Review Letters 96, 036408 (2006).
- S.-W. Tsai, A. H. Castro Neto, R. Shankar, and D. K. Campbell, "Renormalization group approach to strong-coupled superconductors", Physical Review B 72, 054531 (2005).
- X. Du, S.-W. Tsai, D. L. Maslov, and A. F. Hebard, "Metal-Insulator-Like Behavior in Semimetallic Bismuth and Graphite", Physical Review Letters 94, 166601 (2005).
- A. M. Bobkov, L.-Y. Zhu, S.-W. Tsai, T. S. Nunner, Yu. S. Barash and P. J. Hirschfeld, "Electronic structure of d-wave superconducting quantum wires", Physical Review B 70, 144502 (2004).
- S.-W. Tsai and P. J. Hirschfeld,"Singular current response from isolated impurities in d-wave superconductors", Physical Review Letters 89, 147004 (2002).
- S.-W. Tsai , D. L. Maslov and L. I. Glazman, "Tunneling of correlated electrons in ultra high magnetic field", Physical Review B 65, 241102 (2002).
- S.-W. Tsai and J. B. Marston, "Density-Matrix Renormalization-Group Analysis of Quantum Critical Points: I. Quantum Spin Chains", Physical Review B 62, 5546 (2000).
- J. B. Marston and S.-W. Tsai, "Chalker-Coddington network model is quantum critical", Physical Review Letters 82, 4906 (1999).