Environmental Economics and Policy
4147 Interdisciplinary South
- Water Economics
- Alternative Policy Instruments for Pollution Control
- Salinity and Drainage Management and Policy
- Wildlife and Fisheries Management
- Valuing Ecosystem and Forest Services
- Revealed and Stated Preference Valuation Methods
- Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 1996
- M.S. Duke University, 1992
- B.A. Macalester College, 1988
BiographyDr. Schwabe’s research focuses on economic issues associated with water use, agricultural production, urban water conservation, ecosystem services, and environmental regulation. His papers have appeared in wide range of peer-reviewed publications, including the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, and the American Journal of Agricultural Economics, and is co-editor of two recent books on water titled, Drought in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions: A Multi-Disciplinary and Cross-Country Perspective, and The Handbook of Water Economics. Dr. Schwabe received a B.A. in Mathematics and Economics at Macalester College, an M.S. in Economics at Duke University, and a Ph.D. in Economics at the North Carolina State University. He currently is a Professor of Environmental Economics and Policy at the School of Public Policy at the University of California, Riverside, an Adjunct Policy Fellow at the Public Policy Institute of California’s Water Policy Center, and an Adjunct Professor in the Center for Global Food and Resources at the University of Adelaide in Australia.
View Professor Schwabe's CV here
- "Biofuel as an Integrated Farm Drainage Management Crop: A Bio-Economic Analysis,” (w/ Lucia Levers). Water Resources Research . Accepted 2/2017. 42 pages.
- "A Dynamic Regional Model of Perennial Crop Production," (w/ B. Franklin and K. Knapp). Water Economics and Policy 3(1), DOI: 10.1142/S2382624X16500363, 30 pages. 2017.
- "Wastewater Reuse for Agriculture: Development of a Regional Water Reuse Decision-Support Model (RWRM) for Cost-Effective Irrigation Sources," (w/ Q. Tran and D. Jassby). Environmental Science and Technology 50, 9390-9399. 2016.
- "The Water-Energy Nexus and Irrigated Agriculture in the US: Trends and Analyses," (w/ K. Knapp and I Luviano). In Competition for Water Resources: Experience and Management Approaches in the U.S. and Europe. Ziolkowska, J.R.; Peterson, J.M. (eds.). 80-103. 2016.
- "Groundwater Use and Irrigated Agriculture in California: Dynamics, Uncertainty, and Conjunctive Use," (w/ K. Knapp) in The Handbook of Water Economics and Institutions. Editors: K. Burnett, R. Howitt, J. Rousmasset, C. Wada. Routledge. pp. 134-162. 2015.
Incorporating Local Visitor Valuation Information into the Design of New Recreation Sites in Tropical Forests," (w/ Carson, R.T, DeShazo, J.R.,Vincent, J.R., and Ahmad, I). Ecological Economics 120:338-349. 2015.
Handbook of Water Economics (w. A. Dinar). Editors. Edgar Elgar Publishing, MA. 2015
- "Creation of Malaysia's Royal Belum State Park: A Case Study of Conservation in a Developing Country," (w/ Carson, R., DeShazo, J., Potts, M.D., Reese, A., Vincent, J). Journal of Environment and Development 24(1):54-81. 2015.
- "Irrigated Agricultural Adaptation to Water and Climate Variability: The Economic Value of a Water Portfolio." (w/ M. Muhkerjee). American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 97(3):809-832. 2015.
- "Tropical countries may be willing to pay more to protect their forests," (w/ J. Vincent, R. Carson, J.R. DeShazo, I. Ahmad, C. Kook, C. Tan, and M. Potts). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Vol. 111: 28 p.10113-10118. 2014.
- "The Residential Water Demand Effect of Increasing Block Rate Water Budgets," (w/ K. Baerenklau and A. Dinar). Land Economics. Vol. 90: 4 p.683-699. 2014.
- "Coping with Water Scarcity: The Effectiveness of Allocation-Based Pricing and Conservation Rebate Programs in California's Urban Sector," (w/ K. Baerenklau and A. Dinar). Policy Matters 6(1), 1-8. 2014.
- "Where's the Salt? A Spatial Hedonic Analysis of the Value of Groundwater to Irrigated Agriculture," (w/ M. Mukherjee). Agricultural Water Management. Vol. 145: Special Issue: Exploring some of the socio-economic realities of sustainable water management in irrigation. 110-122. 2014.
- Drought in Arid and Semi-arid Regions: A Multi-disciplinary and Cross-Country Perspective (w/ J. Albiac, J. Connor, R. Hassan, and L. Meza-Gonzalez). Springer Publishing, Dordrecht. 2013.
- “Drought in Semi-arid and Arid Environments,” (w/ J. Connor). Choices 27(3):1-5. 2012.
- “Irrigated Agriculture and Climate Change: The Influence of Water Supply Variability and Salinity on Adaptation,” (w/ J. Connor, K. King, and K. Knapp). Ecological Economics 77:147-153. 2012.
- “Environmental Water Incentive Policy and Return Flows,” (w/ E. Qureshi, J. Connor, and M. Kirby). Water Resources Research 46: 1-12. 2010.
- “Impacts of Climate Change on Lower Murray Irrigation,” (w/ J. Connor, M. Kirby, D. Kaczan, and D. King). Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 53(3): 437-456. 2009.
- “Spatial Dynamics of Water and Nitrogen Management in Irrigated Agriculture,” (w/ K. Knapp). American Journal of Agricultural Economics 90(2): 524-539. 2008.
- “Drainwater Management to Reduce Salinity Problems in Irrigated Agriculture,” (w/ I. Kan and K. Knapp). American Journal of Agricultural Economics 88(1):133-149. 2006.
- “Microeconomics of Irrigation with Saline Water,” (w/ I. Kan and K. Knapp). Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 27(1), 16-39. 2002.
- “Modeling State-level Water Quality Management: The Case of the Neuse River Basin,” Resource and Energy Economics 22, 37-62. 2000.